Macmillan Beyond Diagnosis Service
The Macmillan Beyond Diagnosis service offers tailored support to people affected by cancer throughout their cancer journey. We understand everyones experience of cancer is different and the type of support needed is different. You may have lots of question, worries and concerns such as:
- How will the cancer affect me and what does the future hold?
- I have questions around my symptoms, treatment or cancer progression
- How am I going to manage all the other parts of my life?
We will sit down with you to find out what is concerning you most and how we can help.
We will help you explore your concerns and get you the practical and emotional support you need.
Services we can offer:
- Help with short term practical tasks
- Provide volunteer befrienders - give you the opportunity to have someone to talk to
- Help you research activities and groups – anything from a local craft, swimming or walking group
- Access peer support group where you get to talk to others who have been through similar experiences to you
- Make referrals or signpost you to other services with specialist issues such as financial concerns or professional counselling.
- Preparing for hospital appointments – who you will meet and what kind of questions you may want to ask
- Helping you research paid for services or informal support options e.g. cleaners, gardeners, legal services
- Liaison with GPs or cancer nurses where required
The Macmillan Beyond Diagnosis service can support you to:
- Continue to do the things you love or find new things to enjoy
- Help you to get your confidence back and reconnect with your community
- Assist you to resolve your concerns.
Who is the service for?
The Beyond Diagnosis service is available for adults affected by cancer, whether it is you, or a member of your family or close friend, who has received a cancer diagnosis.
You have to be over 18 living or registered with a GPs in Nottingham City, Broxtowe, Gedling, Rushcliffe, Newark and Sherwood, Mansfield and Ashfield.
We don’t offer a service in Bassetlaw but Aurora Service is available to support people from that area.
The types of short term of practical tasks we can offer:
- Accompanying to a hospital appointment or first time to a new social activity
- Occasional Shopping** - if you have just come out of hospital.
- One off house clean/garden maintenance** - to enable you to ‘get on top of it’
- IT support – how to use zoom, shop on line, use the internet, get an email address etc.
- Our volunteers can also come and sit with you or your loved one if you just need someone to be around for an hour or two
- Advocacy – with housing, social care, etc. making sure people are aware of your circumstances if you are eligible for help from them.
**Please note, we do not offer childcare, personal care, counselling or legal/financial advice. We also do not provide long term cleaning, gardening, shopping or ironing services but will be able to help you identify how to access these services – sometimes this may be a free offer, in other cases it will be a paid for service depending on your own circumstances and the kind of support you need.
Click here for Deaf Cancer Support
We will get in touch with you within 3 working days of receiving the referral.
Alternatively get in touch by phoning 0115 9111662 or email: email@example.com
Start making a difference to people living with cancer
Macmillan Cancer Support:
Macmillan Website: www.macmillan.org.uk
Macmillan Support Line on 0808 808 00 00 they offer a wealth of information on the helpline including financial support and emotional support. Lines are open from 8am to 8pm.
Macmillan Information Centre – The Walk-in Centres at Nottingham City Hospital and Queen’s Medical Centre are open Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm (closed bank holidays). Please call before making a special trip as hours occasionally vary.
Call: 0115 840 2650 or 0115 9709933 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
They can offer advice on a range of support around a cancer diagnosis and what your support needs are at this time.
Find out more about the service here: